18 Oct 2009

How to make a wall hanging from doilies

ελληνικό κείμενο
Despite my last post, I 'm still here. Moving was postponed, because due to the work it requires, it can't be done now. But still, I made some changes . I refreshed my blog's appearance and separated it to two sections, one with only English text and one with only Greek text. It looks more right this way and it' s easier to read.

I also made something to decorate my home. I thought I could use some of those doilies my mother kept hidden in her closets -she didn't like them much either. She was very surprised when I asked her to bring me some.



When I emptied the bag, I was thinking of what I could make with them.  Then I remembered of that wall in my dining room which is quite empty and decided to make a wall hanging to decorate it.


I boiled equal quantities of sugar and water




and after the syrup cooled down, I completely soaked the doilies in it,



then I laid them on baking paper and waited with patience for them to get dry .




 The method proved to be very effective, it stiffened the doilies without altering their appearance. Moreover, if you change your mind, all you have to do is wash the doilies and they return to their previous situation.

I used small copper rings, as they wouldn't show against my brown wall,  to link 5 doilies and just one pin to hang the wall hanging.






If you republish this tutorial or/and photos, please put a link back to this blog.

17 comments:

Green Girl said...

wow, what a cute idea!

Anonymous said...

That's really cute, actually! I was a bit doubtful, have to be honest, but grandma's stash can look modern and sheik too!

viv said...

that looks adorable, great idea!

Unknown said...

very nice Tina. I love doilies and i am absolutely sure that i will make them also for my house.

BIKY said...

Καταπληκτική ιδέα

StaroftheEast said...

It looks wonderful!!

tara - scoutie girl said...

great project!! thanks so much for sharing the link on scoutie girl today.

Anne said...

Wow! I think it turn out beautiful on the wall! A great idea. I have made some snowflakes and I'm goingto hang them in my window for xmas.

Greeting froma Anne (Norway)

Demi said...

Wonderful idea!!! They look so cool against the brown wall!!!

Cathie said...

that's a fantastic idea! thanks for sharing.
my mum also has alot of doilies in her cupboards.

Vaso Papadopoulou said...

Very clever! It looks really nice!

PC said...

awesome and clever idea!

Dee said...

I love it! I would like to try this but Does the sugar starch attract ants?

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea, and they look so unique and compliment your wall and space well. Thanks for coming over to the Friday Connection blog hop, I'm following now and look forward to other great tips.

Michelle
www.bigfoottribe.com

STARDUST said...

Τι χαριτωμένη ιδέα! Αλλά εγώ έρχομαι να προσθέσω και κάτι άλλο... απίθανο χρώμα τοίχου!

The Baudier Bash said...

I don't have baking paper handy but want to try this. Can I use aluminum foil to dry them on?

The Baudier Bash said...

I don't have baking paper handy but want to try this. Can I use aluminum foil to dry them on?