5 Oct 2012

How to make organic style fabric flowers

ελληνικό κείμενο

Last weekend was very hot, it seemed like summer was still here, we even went swimming.  But it was a perfectly autumnal day yesterday, exactly as days are supposed to be in October, with clouds and fresh wind and even a few drops of rain, which put me in the mood for making something. So I came up with these no sew organic style flowers.







 If you want to make them too you will need: 

Fabric made of natural fibres, cotton or linen. Burlap would be perfect too. I used a 
 cotton fabric with coarse weaving. 

A cork. 

Some natural line, I had some in two different colors. 

Hot glue gun. 

Knife and toothpick.

The following pattern.




As you can see I hand drawn the pattern since I am completely unable to design using the computer but it was refreshing to go away from the screen for a little while and grab a paper and a pen. 

So, you will have to use the pattern to cut the fabric twice. A little fraying is desirable in our case. If your fabric didn't fray while cutting, make it to.




Use a sharp knife to cut the cork in slices.




Cut two small pieces of the line, around 3cm long. 




Now you will have to open a small hole in the centre of a cork slice. You can use a toothpick or the tip of a knife. The hole must be so big that the two line pieces can pass through it. 




Use the toothpick to push the lines inside the hole until they are visible at the other side or at least until they are tightly squeezed inside the hole.




Put the two pieces of fabric one on top of the other. 




Separate the fibres of the line and press in the centre so that they open.




Now all you will need is two drops of hot glue, one between the two layers of fabric and one in the back of the cork which you will glue in the centre of the flower. 




Your organic style flower is ready. You can use it to embellish anything you like. 



I have something in mind, I will show you in another post.

4 comments:

Meeha Meeha said...

Beautiful flowers - I love their simplicity and the use of natural material :)

Lolly Jane said...

So pretty. Love it!

Lyndsay Loves It said...

Thats so neat, I'm definitely going to try that, I have the supplies already I'm pretty sure! Thanks for sharing. I found your blog through the blog hop and I followed you happily! If you get a chance, check out my blog and maybe follow as well?

--Lyndsay @ www.theallmylove.blogspot.com

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I love the flower --gorgeous! Pinning :)

<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
Wildly Original Linky party is open!